Ethos and Values
Windlestone School: Values, Vision and Mission
Developing Resilience, Raising Aspiration.
In providing a ‘safe place’ within our school community for all of our students, in showing warmth and acceptance to our students and developing relationships which are profoundly humanising, our mission is to:
Develop resilience and raise aspirations
In developing resilience our students will grow the confidence and strength to move forwards in life, to achieve success and make a contribution to others.
In raising aspiration, our students will learn that through effort, determination and commitment we can achieve rewards and success; we each have the power to create our own better futures.
At Windlestone School, all children, young people and adults are valued both as individuals and as part of the wider school community. We aim to provide a safe, happy, caring and highly supportive environment within which everyone can thrive.
- recognise the positive personal qualities and worth of each individual student and the progress that they make in developing the resilience and social skills to manage their emotions and behaviour more effectively
- recognise the journey and experiences that students have lived through, in terms of their personal life experiences and often extremely disrupted educational placements and commit to ensuring that Windlestone School will provide a range of positive experiences to develop self-confidence and self-esteem so that students reengage in learning and ultimately are able to contribute to their communities in a positive way
- embrace difference and harmony by valuing diversity
- display integrity and authenticity by valuing openness, trust, fairness, honesty and respect for all people
- develop social skills, self-confidence and self-esteem so that students believe in themselves and start to become independent learners and foster ambition, high aspirations and independent spirit by valuing each individual’s abilities, aptitudes and desire to create, explore and grow
- develop a work ethic in students to ensure that they become the best person that they can be and achieve their true potential
- help, support and enable others by valuing relationships with all stakeholders, developing emotional intelligence and building resilience and raising aspirations.
- acknowledge the role of networks by valuing the ways in which people can live together, collaborate and make positive contributions as citizens
- acknowledge the place of school in the community, including the broader global community, by valuing the essential nature of the relationship between schools and the social and economic environments in which they operate.
We want our children and young people to:
- become the best person that they can be and achieve their full potential in all areas of school life; academic, social, emotional and physical development
- develop the self-esteem and self-confidence to engage in lessons where they may have major gaps in their learning and suffer from a fear of failure, so they can start to make progress and achieve success
- develop the social skills and self-confidence to engage fully in all aspects of school life and build positive relationships with peers and staff and with parents / carers and other family members
- develop the strength of character in students so that they are able to make their own decisions, which are in their own best interests
- develop a sense of self-respect and pride in students so that they feel positive about themselves and are able to celebrate success
- develop their self-esteem and self-discipline, allied to a positive ethos of community involvement and responsibility
- acquire a growing awareness of and sensitivity to the needs and rights of others
in a school that:
- is well led, efficiently managed and staffed with a highly resilient, skilled, caring and supportive and high performing staff team
- provide a highly structured, supportive and caring, welcoming, stimulating, purposeful and challenging learning environment
- collaborate in impactful ways within and beyond our school
- exemplify innovative best practice and develop next practice
- provide opportunities for staff to develop professionally and personally
- engage meaningfully with their local, regional, national and global communities